RedWhite Apparel's 2020 focus will be exclusively on bibshorts and shorts. In light of this focus, I will be discontinuing the following product lines on this website :
One of my biggest challenges at the moment is growing the company while keeping the core long distance bibshort product line fully stocked. Every year, as demand ramps up going into the riding season, inventory runs out. This happens despite growing the volume of bibshorts ordered in every production cycle.
A good problem to have, but it is still a problem.
My decision to discontinue the above 5 product lines was made after analysing sales data. For every 100 customers who make a purchase on this website, only 20 choose to buy one of the above items. While 20% represents a sizeable chunk of revenue, it isn't high enough to justify the resources that go into maintaining those items.
Jerseys in particular are a tremendous resource black hole. They're graphically heavy and fashion driven. Jerseys follow fashion cycles and to do them well requires investing in a design team who can produce new releases every season. There are many other companies who do this far better than RedWhite Apparel.
RedWhite Apparel's competitive advantage is producing long-distance bibshorts and retailing them at an affordable price. In order to keep doing this well, I need to maintain focus and not deviate from this company's core mission. Maintaining product lines that aren't bibshorts does dilute focus at the moment, hence my decision to discontinue them.
Moving away from the above 5 product lines has freed me up to focus on some new projects that will be hitting the market in late 2020 and early 2021. Below is a list of products you can expect to see :
Products for release by Summer 2020
- The Entry Bib : a more affordable bibshort for new cyclists who don't need the ultra-distance capabilities of the current bibshorts. Manufactured in the same EU factory as my current bibshorts. Target retail price is US$85. (Update : this product is now available)
- The BIB Women (Stealth) : a stealth colour version of the current The BIB Women. It will look similar to The BIB Stealth. (Update : this product is now available)
Products for release in late 2020 / early 2021
- The Cargo Bibshort : a new cargo bibshort with integrated pockets for adventure and ultra riding. Sneak peek at the 1st prototype. 2nd prototype here. (Update : Product is now available)
- Women's Shorts : a non-bib version of The BIB Women
- The THERMAL Bibshort : a thermal version of The BIB bibshort (Update : Product is now available)
- The Winter Bib Tights : a long thermal tight with integrated pad (Update : Product is now available)
Products in early development stage (no release date)
- The BIB Recycled : a version of The BIB that's made using recycled material. (Project update here)
- The BIB Ultra : an upgraded version of The BIB with a next generation pad and upgraded fabrics and cut. Designed to take you even further than The BIB. (Project update here)
- The MTB Liner : a liner bib with pockets that will allow Enduro and XC riders to wear them under baggies and enjoy the comfort of a bibshort while dressing the part for trails. Integrated pockets will allow riders to carry spares, nutrition and a 3L water bladder. You can ditch your hip bag / backpack.
- Padded Boxers : you read that right. Boxer underwear (made of a mesh fabric) with an integrated pad. To be worn beneath your regular clothing for your commutes.
All of the above projects are in active development. Some are much further along than the rest and will be available for sale by summer 2020. Others are pretty early and a release date isn't available as of today.
If you have an opinion on this article, on this new company direction or on the products listed above, please leave it in the comment section below.
Be the best in the world at something and you can build a good business from that. So a good business call. Ultra bibs a very good idea.
Very excited for the new lines, especially the ultra and cargo bibs! Great to see women’s specific versions coming along too.
Understandable decision to ditch the non-core products; I’d suggest socks might be worth retaining if only for branding – often the bibs aren’t all that visible but a lot of cyclists notice what socks someone is rocking! 😅
Sticking to the core and what provides the best outcomes… win / win for all!
A tough decision to make Yuva, but I think it is the right one. Bibshorts are what RedWhite are famous for. If the other kit items can’t compete profitably then good time to put them aside and concentrate on bib short development. Looking forward to trying out a pair of the ultras on my next descent ride. Best of luck !
Just rode in your bibshorts again this morning! Would love to see your Ultra bibshort.
Sounds like a great strategic move to me. Good luck!
Gonna miss your awesome socks but a small sacrifice for exciting new products. Best of luck with the new direction.
Oh yeah! Looking forward to the development of the Ultra. Great commercial sense Yuva.
Bibs matter a lot, especially for long events.
Base layers, etc. not as much.
Great decision YUVA. As we discussed before I love the Bib and it’s what RedWhite do really well
Best of luck on your journey
Put me down for an ultra bib. Cant wait. Also looking forward to the bib tight winter version.
I would like have a long bibs ( pant type) for the long distance ride…for your next new products.
Yes for cargo, MTB, and thermal please.
I think your new direction is smart. You are really good at bib shorts and your product is unique. Concentrating on what makes your company unique is great! I have like 3 pairs of your bib shorts and love them all! Can’t wait to see new product lines!
Hi Yuva, I just love your bib!! Been using 2 and it is surprisingly comfy for long long rides and the material that can last and last and last over countless washing!! Now, I am eyeing on the Bib Ultra and please get this ready soon for I would love to try it! Thanks!!
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! Not my gloves!
But seriously, looks like a sound, evidence-based decision that I can totally understand.
Very excited to hear there are winter tights on the way.